Monday, July 22, 2013

The Top 4 Ab Mistakes Everyone Makes

The best way to get a sizzling six pack isn't by crunching endlessly. A study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that crunches are not necessarily the answer if you're looking to burn belly fat (although it will help build core strength).

I asked one of SELF's favorite trainers, Beverly Hills-based Gunnar Peterson, to help debunk top ab mistakes. (Gunnar is the man behind some of the most in-shape pro-athletes and A-List celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, Angelina Jolie and Minka Kelly.)

Here's what you need to know:
Mistake: I do 100 crunches a day but don't see results!
Fix: "Mix it up! Vary your leg position and your movements. Add side-to-side movements; add weight." A SELF-approved (and uber-effective) ab exercise: the plank! "If your brain is bored, your body was bored three workouts ago. Challenge it! Do the abs on a mat, on a ball and standing."

Mistake: I only work my abs after I'm done with the rest of my workout.
Fix: "A far too common mistake that I see is people waiting to train their abs at the end of the workout. Mix it up and mix them in. Any strength move you do lying down, add a set of 20 crunches at the end. Any strength move you do seated, add a set of 20 rotations at the end (lift your feet if you're strong enough). Don't wait until the end when you are tired and pressed for time. Let the abs join in all the reindeer games!"

Mistake: I'm starting to see a six pack, but I still have love handles... what's the deal?
Fix: "Your body is still holding body fat. Review your diet. Cut down (or off if you really want to get after it!) on salt, sauces, dressings, glazes, gelatins and anything else in that category. Vegetables, fruit, protein, exercise. Build the complex carbs in early in the day and slowly!"

Mistake: My abs are crazy strong, but I still have a pooch.
Fix: "We're back to the body fat issue. See the fix about and try adding some sprint work into whatever cardio you are doing. Throw in a few all-out-effort bouts of 10/20/30 seconds every 1/2/3 minutes and that fat won't stand a chance!"
ab2main.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment