Friday, July 27, 2012

My body, His temple!

I have been 'dieting' since I was 16yrs old.  When I look back at photos I don't think there was any need to.  When I look back at my wedding photos (23yrs), I dont think I looked too bad then either.  But after 2 kids, much less gym than I would like to lay claim to, much enjoyment of food over the years, much upheaval and stress, both normal and life changing, I would say I have a few genuine kilos to lose.  If I'm honest, maybe 14kg.  Although I'd like to lose 19kgs, I'd be happy with 14kgs.




At the beginning of the year I joined Weighless as over all the years of dieting I know it to be balanced, good and healthy, and it works.  The problem is not the diet.  The problem is me.  January was awesome.  I have never done so well for so long (a whole month), but then we went away for business and I tripped up once and there you go, the old habits just flew back in to roost, determined to stay!  Now 2 and a bit months later, I am determined to carry on.  I have gone backwards slightly, but have no intention of losing all the ground I've made and to be honest, its not that much ground gained or lost!  But determination has kicked in again and this morning after doing a few work related things I am going back to Weighless.  I have'nt actually stopped going, I've just bunked!  So I will go back determined not to see the graph going back up, but see it as just a hiccup.

At the end of the day (for me), its about attitude.  And when it comes to food I have a very good attitude, I love it.  I have no emotional hang-ups that cause me to eat, no traumas that express themselves into eating problems.  I just love food.  My attitude about food should however be, eat to live not live to eat!!!

I have been thinking about what scripture says about food.   I am sure at one time or another we have all read the scriptures about how our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and how we should not abuse them and I thought, how come that does not halt me in my tracks and cause me to change my bad habits?  I think its because our salvation or other important things in our lives are not reliant on how we treat our bodies.  For example, its not difficult to try be a good and faithful wife and keep our marriage vows to the best of our abilities because we want our marriages to work.  Its not difficult to be there for our kids because we want to be the best mothers we can be.  I'm not saying its easy to be these things.  I'm saying the desire to be these things comes easy.  But if we smoke, or overeat, or get tattoos, or pearcings, or dye our hair blue, God sees and judges our hearts and if we have given our lives to Him He works on our spirit and soul.  He does encourage us to look after our bodies but its not the measuring stick for heaven.

1 Corinth 6 v 12:  All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
1 Corinth 6 v 19-20:  Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.


I realise the above scriptures speak of much more than eating, but if bad eating and no exercise hinder the maintenance of our bodies then we should be making changes.  Its true for me that if I overeat then I tend to be negative the next day and tend to be moody and otherwise with people.  So this has a bad impact on my relationships.  Can't be good, right?  I also know when I eat healthily the opposite applies.

In Deuteronomy, God gives the Israelites many laws among which are laws with regards to eating.  All those apply today for good health.  If you follow them your body can only benefit.  Why?  Because God created us and knows what works best for us.  Having said that, in Romans 14 v 14, Paul says:  I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.  Also in v 17:  for the kingdom of God is not food and drink, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. And then also v 20-21:  Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.  All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offence.  It is good neither to eat meat not drink wine not do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

So what do I take from this?  Well, God gives us advice on what to eat for our own health but says that what you eat or drink in of itself is not evil.  Its if what you eat and drink offends or upsets someone else that it becomes a sin. Also, what you eat and drink, how it affects you may cause you to sin, eg: get moody and then treat others badly because you have let yourself down or drink too much and say or do things you would'nt otherwise do.

There is one scripture which I would like to concentrate on for the purposes of losing weight and getting healthier.  It is Deut 30 v 19:  I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live.  You know, if you choose life when eating, you will feel healthier, be more positive, therefore be more available to God and His purposes for you and so the circle widens in life.  If you choose death in eating, you will still go to heaven, you wont lose your salvation, but you'll feel bloated, unwell, unhealthy and that negative feeling will infuse your day, so affecting your relationships etc etc.  I know, because weekly, I let food affect me negatively or positively.

So here on my blog, with regards to eating, I commit to choosing life.  Its a discipline, and for me, it wont be easy.  I commit to giving feed back on my weight loss and I ask for any encouragement.  And if you wish to join me on this journey afresh, let me know and I will encourage you.  Watch this space!

Isn't it amazing how God's word covers EVERYTHING we could possibly have problems with?

God bless
TKT

No comments:

Post a Comment